Stillwater Meeting House, Barnesville, Ohio USA Stillwater Meeting House, Barnesville, Ohio USA The Meeting House is owned by the Yearly Meeting, but sits on property owned by Stillwater Monthly Meeting, the local congregation. 8584307 The second Meeting House was a single story structure, 34 by 97 feet, and was built in 1811 (enlarged in 1823). It was torn down in 1874 in preparation for the current structure on the same site. 8584312 The building was constructed in 1878 at a cost of $9000, from materials mostly manufactured on-site. 8584361 The 1878 meeting House was surrounded by locust trees. Today they are tulip poplars and maples. 8584256 The north side of the Meeting House looks out over the older section of the graveyard. The oldest graves have no markers at all on the surface. 8584343 Business meetings were formerly separated by sex by lowering the heavy shutters between the wings. 8584302 The east side of the Meeting House shows the separate external doors to enter the men's and women's side from the back. 8584347 Window sills and door lintels are hand-hewn sandstone, still showing the old chisel marks. 8584339 All the benches were built inside the structure. The staircase leads into the upstairs gallery. 8584362 The porch roof posts were re-used from the older building. The damage to them was caused by steel buggy wheels grinding against the posts while loading and unloading. 8584344 The porch on the south side was originally wooden, but now is a much more durable concrete. 8584335 This 200 year-old bench on the porch came from the earlier Meeting House. 8584342 The very old benches on the porch were recently replaced by safer ones from the inside. 8584345 The west side of the building shows the tall wooden shutters that protect the massive double hung windows. The small addition is a washroom. 8584320 The older graveyard holds two hundred years of Friends. 8584333 The old benches are quite comfortable with more recent pads. 8584257 The upstairs benches are much older than the ones on the ground floor, as they came from the earlier meeting house on this property. 8584259 The heat comes from two floor furnaces and two wall units. 8584336 This back section behind the posts can now be partitioned off to be heated in cold weather. 8584258 During yearly meeting, both sides were packed. 8584317 The 75 benches in the Meeting House each hold 15 people. When they're all full, two thousand people can sit down inside. 8584305 The benches upstairs also allow a scenic view of the property. 8584346 Looking down from the gallery in the men's section. 8584315 The upstairs gallery has always been popular with children, and is built to allow a unobstructed view of the minister's facing benches. 8584304 The original heat was marginal. 8584332 The newer heat is natural gas. 8584318 Still somewhat picturesque. The building is hard to heat because of its immense height inside. 8584319 This hand-made ladder leads up into the attic through a trap in the men's side gallery. 8584321 The hardwood ladder seems to be original. 8584329 The square-headed nails are hand-forged. 8584330 The timbers still show the original tool marks from 1878. 8584313 Up in the attic, the roof is held together by hand-hewn beams bolted together. 8584306 The roof is slate--extremely heavy--and requires posts and beams to hold it up. 8584309 All the beams are carefully hand-fitted. 8584328 Iron rods connect the truss components, and the rafters are bolt-up. 8584325 And the electricity, while serviceable, is a bit dated. 8584324 The main shutters are drawn up into the ceiling by a windlass. The smaller ones are hung with sash weights, and can be lifted using one hand. 8584260 This two-man windlass was installed in 1878 to raise and lower the shutter between the men's and the women's sides below. 8584311 A manila rope leads up to a pulley block. 8584322 Construction is cast-iron. The safety catch only works while raising--while lowering, you just never let go. 8584323 The cast iron fittings of the windlass permit basic lubrication through oil cups. 8584326 The windlass is geared so that two men can raise the shutter with minimal effort. 8584337 The shutter itself is very heavy, and is connected to the rope by chains. 8584327 The brickwork was somewhat casual on the south side in the attic. 8584308 Today, the men's section is used as a small museum and for a reading area. 8584316 Artifacts abound. 8584334 Lilies abound on the property. 8584303 We always need more. 8584338 The north and south walls are bolted together to keep the wind and weight from bending th ewalls out. This is a new addition to the structure. 8584331 The old tulip poplars and maples will need replacements planted soon. 8584340